Brown Sugar Kitchen: New-Style, Down-Home Recipes from Sweet West Oakland, from chef Tanya Holland, celebrates her West Oakland restaurant Brown Sugar Kitchen. The cookbook shows off not only the restaurant's signature Louisiana influenced soul food from French trained Holland — think gumbos, po' boys, dirty rice, peach cobbler, andouille gougères — but also its role as a center for the community to gather and chat over waffles. In addition to the beautifully photographed recipes the cookbook includes profiles of local suppliers, regulars, and more - reminding us that food is best when made with love to be shared among community.
- by chef/owner Tanya Holland, with Jan Newberry
- Photographs by Jody Horton
- Forward by Michael Chabon
- 86 recipes from the Brown Sugar Kitchen resturant
- Hardcover, 224 Pages
- Review from celebrated chef & food activist Alice Waters: "Tanya Holland has made a beautiful commitment to West Oakland, creating a vibrant, joyful restaurant that is a pillar of the local community. With robust, soulful recipes using seasonal and local ingredients, this book is a wonderful reflection of the spirit she has fostered at Brown Sugar Kitchen."