This colorful version of the original Field Notes 48-page notebooks is a fun update on a classic! The covers are the result of the interaction of a bright, transparent ink with the lovely, rich tone of the French Paper Co.’s “Packing Brown Wrap” paper that Field Notes has been using for years on the “Original Kraft” Memo Books. The insides feature Domtar’s splendid Cougar Natural 60#T stock with a subtle dot-graph and micro-perforated pages, so your notes and lists are secure but easy to remove when needed.
- Set of 2 Classic Field Notes Memo Books
- Tear off dot grid pages, 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm)
- Dimensions: 3-1/2" × 5-1/2"
- Materials: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C "Packing Brown Wrap" with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of “Aqua"
- Bound by a rugged three-staple saddle-stitch process
- Designed, printed, and manufactured in the US
- Stationery nerds scroll all the way down for all the nitty gritty details!
Field Notes as a brand owes their existence to a tradition of promotional memo books distributed to American farmers over the last hundred years by seed, tractor, and other agricultural companies. Field Notes co-founder Aaron Draplin has been collecting these for years, “rescuing them” from obscurity. His ever growing collection has served as the inspiration for the Field Notes brand as well as their ethos. While they first started with packages of three graph-ruled booklets wrapped with a thick kraft brown cover Field Notes has since printed dozens of variations and introduced the wildly popular quarterly additions, exploring new colors, papers, printing processes, and special packaging. They're based in Chicago where they design their products, which are then printed not too far away in Mount Prospect, Illinois using French Paper Company products from Niles, Michigan.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of Active Graphics, Cicero, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C “Packing Brown Wrap,” with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of “Amber,” “Aqua,” “Moss,” and “Berry” soy-based Superior ink.
- 03. Innards: Domtar Cougar 60#T “Natural,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Double Knee Duck Canvas Light Brown” soy-based Superior ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed (and perforated) on a Komori Lithrone S40 40" 6-color offset printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 11. UPCs: Amber 850032279154, Aqua 850032279161, Moss 850032279178.